Release Checklist for BIND 9.11.36, BIND 9.11.36-S1, BIND 9.16.22, BIND 9.16.22-S1, 9.17.19
Code Freeze: Wednesday, October 6th, 2021
Tagging Deadline: Monday, October 11th, 2021
Public Release: Wednesday, October 27th, 2021
Documentation Review Links
Closed issues assigned to the milestone without a release note:
Merge requests merged into the milestone without a release note:
Merge requests merged into the milestone without a
Before the Code Freeze
- (QA) Inform Support and Marketing of impending release (and give estimated release dates).
- (QA) Ensure there are no permanent test failures on any platform.
- (QA) Check Perflab to ensure there has been no unexplained drop in performance for the versions being released.
- (QA) Check whether all issues assigned to the release milestone are resolved1.
- (QA) Ensure that there are no outstanding merge requests in the private repository1 (Subscription Edition only).
- (QA) Ensure all merge requests marked for backporting have been indeed backported.
- (QA) Announce (on Mattermost) that the code freeze is in effect.
Before the Tagging Deadline
(QA) Look for outstanding documentation issues (e.g.
CHANGESmistakes) and address them if any are found.
- (QA) Ensure release notes are correct, ask Support and Marketing to check them as well.
- (QA) Update API files for libraries with new version information.
(QA) Change software version and library versions in
configure.ac(new major release only).
configureusing Autoconf on
CHANGES.SE(Subscription Edition only).
(QA) Build documentation on
- (QA) Check that the formatting is correct for text, PDF, and HTML versions of release notes.
- (QA) Check that the formatting of the generated man pages is correct.
(QA) Tag the releases in the private repository (
git tag -s -m "BIND 9.x.y" v9_x_y).
Before the ASN Deadline (for ASN Releases) or the Public Release Date (for Regular Releases)
- (QA) Verify GitLab CI results for the tags created and prepare a QA report for the releases to be published.
- (QA) Announce (on Mattermost) that the code freeze is over.
- (QA) Request signatures for the tarballs, providing their location and checksums.
- (Signers) Validate tarball checksums, sign tarballs, and upload signatures.
- (QA) Verify tarball signatures and check tarball checksums again.
- (Support) Pre-publish ASN and/or Subscription Edition tarballs so that packages can be built.
- (QA) Build and test ASN and/or Subscription Edition packages.
- (QA) Notify Support that the releases have been prepared.
- (Support) Send out ASNs (if applicable).
On the Day of Public Release
- (Support) Wait for clearance from Security Officer to proceed with the public release (if applicable).
- (Support) Place tarballs in public location on FTP site.
- (Support) Publish links to downloads on ISC website.
- (Support) Write release email to bind-announce.
- (Support) Write email to bind-users (if a major release).
- (Support) Send eligible customers updated links to the Subscription Edition (update the -S edition delivery tickets, even if those links were provided earlier via an ASN ticket).
- (Support) Update tickets in case of waiting support customers.
- (QA) Build and test any outstanding private packages.
- (QA) Build public RPMs.
- (SwEng) Build Debian/Ubuntu packages.
- (SwEng) Update Docker images.
- (QA) Inform Marketing of the release.
- (QA) Update the internal BIND release dates wiki page when public announcement has been made.
- (Marketing) Post short note to Twitter.
- (Marketing) Update Wikipedia entry for BIND.
- (Marketing) Write blog article (if a major release).
- (QA) Ensure all new tags are annotated and signed.
- (QA) Push tags for the published releases to the public repository.
(QA) Merge the automatically prepared
prep 9.x.ycommit which updates
versionand documentation on the release branch into the relevant maintenance branch (
(QA) For each maintained branch, update the
BIND_BASELINE_VERSIONvariable for the
.gitlab-ci.ymlto the latest published BIND version tag for a given branch.
- (QA) Prepare empty release notes for the next set of releases.
- (QA) Sanitize confidential issues which are assigned to the current release milestone and do not describe a security vulnerability, then make them public.
- (QA) Sanitize confidential issues which are assigned to older release milestones and describe security vulnerabilities, then make them public if appropriate2.
(QA) Update QA tools used in GitLab CI (e.g. Flake8, PyLint) by modifying the relevant