BIND 9.13.5 Release
(Manager) Check for the presence of a milestone for the release:
- If there is a milestone, are all the issues for the milestone resolved? (other than this checklist).
(Manager) Inform Support/Marketing of impending release (and give estimated release dates).
(SwEng) Prepare the sources for tarball generation:
- Check perflab to ensure there has been no unexplained drop in performance for the version being released.
- Ensure that there are no outstanding merge requests in the private repository (subscription version only).
- Update API files for libraries with new version information.
- Change software version and library versions in configure.in (new major release only).
- Rebuild configure using autoconf on docs.isc.org.
- Update CHANGES.
- Update "version".
- Update "readme.md".
- Check the release notes are correct:
- Compare content with merge requests for the release.
- Check formatting.
- Build documentation on docs.isc.org.
- Commit changes and make sure the gitlab-ci tests are passing.
Push the changes and tag ("alphatag" is an optional string such as "b1", "rc1" etc.). (
git tag -u <DEVELOPER_KEYID> -a -s -m "BIND 9.X.Y[alphatag]" v9_X_Y[alphatag])
If this is the first tag for a release (e.g. beta), create a release branch named
release_v9_X_Y(this allows development to continue on the release branch whilst release engineering continues).
(SwEng) Run the "make release" Jenkins job to produce the tarballs and zips.
(SwEng) Ask QA to sanity check the tarball and zips (passing to them the number of the Jenkins job).
(QA) Sanity check the tarballs.
(QA) Request the signature on the tarballs.
(QA) Check signatures on tarballs.
(QA) Tell Support to handle notification of release.
(Manager) Inform Marketing of the release
(Manager) Update the internal BIND release dates wiki page when public announcement has been made.
(SwEng) Update DEB and RPM packages
(SwEng) Merge the automatically prepared
prep 9.X.Ycommit which updates
versionand documentation on the release branch into the relevant maintenance branch (
- Make tarballs and signatures available to download.
- Write release email to bind9-announce.
- Write email to bind9-users (if a major release).
- Update tickets in case of waiting support customers.
- Post short note to Twitter.
- Update Wikipedia entry for BIND.
- Write blog article (if a major release). (I would love a blog from Witold on the networking refactoring, but I don't have it and can't make it up)