Release Checklist for BIND 9.11.12, BIND 9.11.12-S1, BIND 9.14.7, BIND 9.15.5
Tagging Deadline: Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019
Public Release: Wednesday, October 16th, 2019
(Manager) Check for the presence of a milestone for the release:
- If there is a milestone, are all the issues for the milestone resolved? (other than this checklist).
- (Manager) Inform Support/Marketing of impending release (and give estimated release dates).
- (SwEng) Prepare the sources for tarball generation:
- Check perflab to ensure there has been no unexplained drop in performance for the version being released.
- Ensure that there are no outstanding merge requests in the private repository (subscription version only).
- Update API files for libraries with new version information.
- Change software version and library versions in configure.in (new major release only).
- Rebuild configure using autoconf on docs.isc.org.
- Update CHANGES.
- Update CHANGES.SE (subscription branch only).
- Update "version".
- Update "readme.md".
- Check the release notes are correct:
- Compare content with merge requests for the release.
- Check formatting.
- Build documentation on docs.isc.org.
- Commit changes and make sure the gitlab-ci tests are passing.
Push the changes and tag ("alphatag" is an optional string such as "b1", "rc1" etc.). (
git tag -u <DEVELOPER_KEYID> -a -s -m "BIND 9.X.Y[alphatag]" v9_X_Y[alphatag])
If this is the first tag for a release (e.g. beta), create a release branch named
release_v9_X_Y(this allows development to continue on the release branch whilst release engineering continues).
- (QA) Run the "make release" Jenkins job to produce the tarballs and zips.
- (QA) Sanity check the tarball and zips.
- (QA) Request the signature on the tarballs.
- (QA) Check signatures on tarballs.
- (QA) Tell Support to handle notification of release.
- (Manager) Inform Marketing of the release
- (Manager) Update the internal BIND release dates wiki page when public announcement has been made.
- (SwEng) Push tags for the published releases to the public repository
- (SwEng) Update DEB and RPM packages
(SwEng) Merge the automatically prepared
prep 9.X.Ycommit which updates
versionand documentation on the release branch into the relevant maintenance branch (
- Make tarballs and signatures available to download.
- Write release email to bind9-announce.
- Write email to bind9-users (if a major release).
- Update tickets in case of waiting support customers.
- Post short note to Twitter.
- Update Wikipedia entry for BIND.
- Write blog article (if a major release).