ISC DHCP Relay: Vlan based DHCP Packets are not relayed.
name: Bug report about: Create a report to help us improve
If you believe your bug report is a security issue (e.g. a packet that can kill the server), DO NOT REPORT IT HERE. Please use https://www.isc.org/community/report-bug/ instead or send mail to security-office(at)isc(dot)org. If you really need to report it here, please set the confidential field to true.
Describe the bug A clear and concise description of what the bug is.
To Reproduce Steps to reproduce the behavior:
- Run dhcrelay with the following single server and client. Client shall use tagged vlan Interface for sending discover packet.
- Client packet is not received by DHCP Relay as BPF is configured in such a way that only IP packets(0x0800 ethertype) are passed to DCHP Relay and VLAN ethertype(0x8100) is not handled by BPF and those packets are dropped.
Expected behavior A clear and concise description of what you expected to happen: DHCP Relay shall support VLAN based Discover also.
ISC DHCP version: 4.3.6
OS: [Any Linux]
Which features were compiled in
Additional Information Add any other context about the problem here. In particular, feel free to share your config file and logs from around the time error occurred. Don't be shy to send more logs than you think are relevant. It is easy to grep large log files. It is tricky to guess what may have happened without any information.
Make sure you anonymize your config files (at the very lease make sure you obfuscate your database credentials, but you may also replace your actual IP addresses and host names with example.com and 10.0.0.0/8 or 2001:db8::/32).
Some initial questions
- Are you sure your feature is not already implemented in the latest ISC DHCP version?
- Are you sure your requrested feature is not already impemented in Kea? Perhaps it's a good time to consider migration?
- Are you sure what you would like to do is not possible using some other mechanisms?
- Have you discussed your idea on dhcp-users and/or dhcp-workers mailing lists?
Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe. A clear and concise description of what the problem is. Ex. I'm always frustrated when [...] It is very important to describe what you would like to do and why?
Describe the solution you'd like A clear and concise description of what you want to happen.
Describe alternatives you've considered A clear and concise description of any alternative solutions or features you've considered.
Additional context Add any other context about the feature request here.
Funding its development ISC DHCP is run by ISC, which is a small non-profit organization without any government funding or any permanent sponsorship organizations. Are you able and willing to participate financially in the development costs?
Participating in development Are you willing to participate in the feature development? ISC team always tries to make a feature as generic as possible, so it can be used in wide variety of situations. That means the proposed solution may be a bit different that you initially thought. Are you willing to take part in the design discussions? Are you willing to test an unreleased engineering code?
Contacting you How can ISC reach you to discuss this matter further? If you do not specify any means such as e-mail, jabber id or a telephone, we may send you a message on github with questions when we have them.