kea migration advice document (kb?)
We got this suggestion from a user working on migrating from ISC DHCP to Kea.
Along with the Kea migration tool, we should have a migration doc that has:
- A high-level block-diagram showing the Kea/CB/Stork/DNS components and outlining the primary architectural choices (multiple active/standby pairs, load-balanced pairs, sprinkling of backup servers, diverse geographic location, web server role and location(s), choice of backends vs built-in (leases, hosts, configuration), DHCP client connection, DDNS usage, etc. and how it all connects together
- 'host' statements for 'known' clients in ISC DHCP are similiar to 'global' reservations in Kea (pls provide example configuration snippet)
- Suggestion to run 'keama' on your current config to see similiar how other directives translate, and how they don't as a way to see how things translate.
- I really like the commented out directives, etc. in the template/example kea-dhcp4.conf and other config files, very helpful. Include a section with examples on using 'config-control', and in the API document illuminate how 'subnet4-add' and 'subnet4-del' are only for config-file (and not CB) use. Likewise for 'remote-subnet4-add', etc. Perhaps a mini section for heavy API/CB users pointing out things like that, or grouping/coloring the API methods according to the file vs. CB use and then in the short migration doc reference that.
- include a collection import of JSON from Postman for the API methods along with the brief instructions on where to get Postman and how to import/run an individual API call as a way to get that much closer to working API examples out-of-the-box. perhaps give an example of how 'allow member of CLASS' and 'deny member of CLASS' in ISC would map to Kea.
- 'include' statements in ISC DHCP are similiar to ' include "/var/dhcpd/etc/kea/kea-include-subnets.json" ?>' in Kea. having a short section that shows the main DORA messages from ISC DHCP (and the forward-map and reverse-map lines) and how that will now show up in Kea.
- Provide a short 5-minute online video going over the block diagram, highlighting the decision points, and including the references to the short migration guide that captures the above.
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have admin enable hashed storage. More information