kea migration advice document (kb?)
We got this suggestion from a user working on migrating from ISC DHCP to Kea.
Along with the Kea migration tool, we should have a migration doc that has:
- A high-level block-diagram showing the Kea/CB/Stork/DNS components and outlining the primary architectural choices (multiple active/standby pairs, load-balanced pairs, sprinkling of backup servers, diverse geographic location, web server role and location(s), choice of backends vs built-in (leases, hosts, configuration), DHCP client connection, DDNS usage, etc. and how it all connects together
- 'host' statements for 'known' clients in ISC DHCP are similiar to 'global' reservations in Kea (pls provide example configuration snippet)
- Suggestion to run 'keama' on your current config to see similiar how other directives translate, and how they don't as a way to see how things translate.
- I really like the commented out directives, etc. in the template/example kea-dhcp4.conf and other config files, very helpful. Include a section with examples on using 'config-control', and in the API document illuminate how 'subnet4-add' and 'subnet4-del' are only for config-file (and not CB) use. Likewise for 'remote-subnet4-add', etc. Perhaps a mini section for heavy API/CB users pointing out things like that, or grouping/coloring the API methods according to the file vs. CB use and then in the short migration doc reference that.
- include a collection import of JSON from Postman for the API methods along with the brief instructions on where to get Postman and how to import/run an individual API call as a way to get that much closer to working API examples out-of-the-box. perhaps give an example of how 'allow member of CLASS' and 'deny member of CLASS' in ISC would map to Kea.
- 'include' statements in ISC DHCP are similiar to ' include "/var/dhcpd/etc/kea/kea-include-subnets.json" ?>' in Kea. having a short section that shows the main DORA messages from ISC DHCP (and the forward-map and reverse-map lines) and how that will now show up in Kea.
- Provide a short 5-minute online video going over the block diagram, highlighting the decision points, and including the references to the short migration guide that captures the above.