Release Checklist for BIND 9.11.16, BIND 9.11.16-S1, BIND 9.14.11, BIND 9.16.0
Tagging Deadline: Wednesday, February 12th, 2020
Public Release: Wednesday, February 19th, 2020
2 Working Days Before the Tagging Deadline
- (QA) Check whether all issues assigned to the release milestone are resolved1.
- (QA) Ensure that there are no outstanding merge requests in the private repository1 (Subscription Edition only).
- (QA) Ensure all merge requests marked for backporting have been indeed backported.
Before the Tagging Deadline
- (QA) Inform Support/Marketing of impending release (and give estimated release dates).
- (QA) Check Perflab to ensure there has been no unexplained drop in performance for the versions being released.
- (SwEng) Update API files for libraries with new version information.
(SwEng) Change software version and library versions in
configure.ac(new major release only).
configureusing Autoconf on
CHANGES.SE(Subscription Edition only).
(SwEng) Build documentation on
- (QA) Check that all the above steps were performed correctly.
- (QA) Check that the contents of release notes match the merge requests comprising the releases.
- (QA) Check that the formatting is correct for text, PDF, and HTML versions of release notes.
- (SwEng) Tag the releases2. (Tags may only be pushed to the public repository for releases which are not security releases.)
(SwEng) If this is the first tag for a release (e.g. beta), create a release branch named
release_v9_X_Yto allow development to continue on the maintenance branch whilst release engineering continues.
Before the ASN Deadline (for ASN Releases) or the Public Release Date (for Regular Releases)
- (QA) Verify GitLab CI results for the tags created and prepare a QA report for the releases to be published.
- (QA) Request signatures for the tarballs, providing their location and checksums.
- (Signers) Validate tarball checksums, sign tarballs, and upload signatures.
- (QA) Verify tarball signatures and check tarball checksums again.
- (Support) Pre-publish ASN and/or Subscription Edition tarballs so that packages can be built.
- (QA) Build and test ASN and/or Subscription Edition packages.
- (QA) Notify Support that the releases have been prepared.
- (Support) Send out ASNs (if applicable).
On the Day of Public Release
- (Support) Wait for clearance from Security Officer to proceed with the public release (if applicable).
- (Support) Place tarballs in public location on FTP site.
- (Support) Publish links to downloads on ISC website.
- (Support) Write release email to bind-announce.
- (Support) Write email to bind-users (if a major release).
- (Support) Update tickets in case of waiting support customers.
- (QA) Build and test any outstanding private packages.
(QA) Build public packages (
- (QA) Inform Marketing of the release.
- (QA) Update the internal BIND release dates wiki page when public announcement has been made.
- (Marketing) Post short note to Twitter.
- (Marketing) Update Wikipedia entry for BIND.
- (Marketing) Write blog article (if a major release).
- (QA) Ensure all new tags are annotated and signed.
- (SwEng) Push tags for the published releases to the public repository.
(SwEng) Merge the automatically prepared
prep 9.X.Ycommit which updates
versionand documentation on the release branch into the relevant maintenance branch (
If not, use the time remaining until the tagging deadline to ensure all outstanding issues are either resolved or moved to a different milestone.
Preferred command line:
git tag -u <DEVELOPER_KEYID> -a -s -m "BIND 9.X.Y[alphatag]" v9_X_Y[alphatag], where
[alphatag]is an optional string such as