Prometheus exporter and Grafana template for BIND
It would be nice to have a supported Prometheus exporter, so users could more easily get and analyse their BIND metrics in a well-supported open source metrics system. Since we know what the metrics are for, it would also be good to provide a related Grafana template for displaying the most useful metrics. There is already a BIND exporter published by Digital Ocean: https://github.com/digitalocean/bind_exporter which might be good to look at for reference.
- this can wait until after we revise the statistics infrastructure
- NB the Prometheus.io project has some 'Best practices' for exporters (https://prometheus.io/docs/instrumenting/writing_exporters/)
- On the question of whether this should be embedded in BIND or external - if it is possible to avoid running this code if the user doesn't need the feature, that is ideal. So if this is a candidate for a BIND hook extension, that would be ideal.
- obv. it would be a problem if this has a big impact on BIND performance. Overall, one wouldn't want to spend more than 15% of capacity tops on metrics and diagnostics I wouldn't think
- if it is possible to also include some system/platform metrics (I dk how you get them) so that users could correlate things like cpu and memory on the platform, that would be idea. I realize this may be more of a systems engineering than dev task, if there are separate exporters for the platform metrics.
- I see the existing exporters do have complaints about packaging, requests for help with building, all the usual user problems so, we might need to be prepared to provide this in an installable package for at least our subscribers.