This is a fix for commit 517449e0. After a failed reload I noticed two problems:
There was a missing newline in the output of
rndc statusso it printed "reload/reconfig in progressserver is up and running"
The "reconfig in progress" note should have said "reconfig failed".
I have not been very successful getting rndc to actually print a "reload/reconfig in progress" notice. In the rndc system tests I tried running
rndc status during the "loading of a large zone" checks, but there seems to be an exclusive lock somewhere that prevents control channel commands from running until the load has finished.