Req 3.4 - Log viewer
As an administrator I would like to easily view the recent logs for a monitored service. I may do this when I see some indicator of a service degradation as a first step in identifying what the problem may be. This requirement is for a simple log viewer. This is envisioned initially as a fairly simple display of the log file on an individual server. This is not a massive database of historical logs with analysis. For extensive log analysis I would be willing to go to a separate application to look at more voluminous historical logs and to get searching and sorting and aggregation.
- It would be ideal if there is a default location for the log file for that service, if Stork can locate the log file. In any case, when initially setting up Stork to monitor the service I would expect to be prompted to optionally specify the location of the log file(s).
- I am going to do this infrequently, so it is ok if I have to push a button or something to 'fetch the log' and wait a bit for the screen to populate. I would prefer not to have to leave the stork application to view the log, and after I have 'fetched the log' I would like to be able to click around and look at other information in Stork and come back to the log viewer without having to 'refetch' the log.
- We expect to only fetch the most recent portion of the log (so -tail of say, the most recent 15 minutes or so).
- If possible, include platform logs (e.g. platform restarts, OS updates...) and stork application logs.
- It would be ideal if it is possible to display the last log for a service that has died, but this is 'extra credit.'
- As far as the user interface, it is fine if the log itself is opened in a new separate window or tab.
- It is understood that a single application may have multiple log channels, so these will be displayed in separate windows or tabs and not aggregated.