Convert to modern autotools (autoconf + automake + libtool)
The current build system doesn't use automake. It would be much easier to maintain the build system if we use full autotools capabilities.
Also reducing the number of Makefiles scattered in subdirectories into just few would help with dependency graph and parallel builds.
- #1720 (closed) Building documentation is broken with Automake
- #1724 (closed) Revise installation locations for certain BIND binaries
- #1769 (closed) Ensure all necessary files are included in the tarball produced by "make dist"
- #1774 (closed) Get Windows builds working again
- #1777 (closed) Update the build instructions for automake
- #1780 (closed) Fix system tests failing with Automake
- #1783 (closed) AX_CHECK_COMPILE_FLAG -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks does not fail for clang
- #114 (closed) Out of tree system tests
- #1722 (closed) Ensure unit test core dumps are collected for Automake builds
- #1725 (closed) Ensure correct use of lib/ns/tests/wrap.c
- #1738 (closed) Revise the contents of "./configure" summary
- #1771 Refactor how we load librpz.so
- #1787 (closed) BIND (master) does not work with krb5 1.18 (NegoEx)
- #1792 (closed) Convert the checks from testsummary.sh into log driver (run.sh)
- #1867 (closed) Fix the system tests on Windows
- #1880 Fix "make distcheck"
- #1773 Consider including all compile flags in "named -V" output
- #48 (closed) Drop $SYSTEMTESTTOP from bin/tests/system/
- #1726 (closed) Unit tests: rename TESTS to something more descriptive
- #1727 (closed) Drop use of "$FEATURETEST --have-dlopen"
- #1729 Remove unused helper scripts from bin/tests/system/
- #1730 (closed) Clean up no-op AC_SUBST calls
- #1731 Sort Automake files nicely
- #1770 (closed) Review how we use sys/un.h
- #1778 Cleanup the final remnants of platform.h
- #1913 (closed) Remove unused leftovers